Popular Post

Posted by : Unknown April 24, 2014



Hi there, I am here to present to you guys another interesting anime film to watch. The reason why I watched 5cm was because of the uncanny likeness it had to my past.

Byousoku 5 Centimetre (5 Centimetres Per Second) is a 2007 Japanese-animated romantic drama film by Makoto Shinkai. The story is set in Japan in the 1990s and ends in modern day in three segments; Cherry Blossom, Cosmonaut and 5 Centimetres Per Second.

It is a tale of two people; Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari who became close friends due to similar interests and attitudes. After a short period of time, they fall in love with each other but as time moves on, they become separated when they move places because of their families. Despite the distance between them, Takaki and Akari continue to exchange contact in the form of letters. However, as time continues to move on, their contact with one another begins to cease and they soon realise they may never contact each other again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The absence of science fiction and fantasy elements in 5cm makes the film more “down-to earth” as it focuses on the everyday life of the main characters to present the real world from a different perspective and this appeal to me even in mundane scenes. In addition, the way Makoto polished these elements to produce 5cm made me feel like that that film itself was based on his own memories.

The film being split in three segments with each part showing Takaki at different stages of his life; the first part in primary school, the second in high school and the third as a young adult offered a beautiful and delicate look at the development of his life throughout the years.

For most part of the film, the soundtrack was quiet and passive and to me, it fits the somber and contemplative mood of the story quite well. On the other hand, there’s also a short song presented in a montage of scenes from the entire film near the end that depicts Takaki’s unrequited feelings for Akari and this made me feel emotional as I remembered my past.

Overall, I loved the film with the way the story was separated in three segments because it paints a broader picture about the progression in both Takaki and Akari’s life and it’s also something I never seen before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia:
Back when I was on exchange in Japan during high school, I met a girl who coincidentally was also called Akari in our Japanese sister school and we became good friends while studying there. Even after I went back to Sydney when the exchange program was over, we still remained in contact via email for a couple of months but eventually we drifted apart and I never got the chance to express my feelings to Akari. This is why I mentioned earlier that the film had a resemblance to my past as it reminded me of this bittersweet memory.

Ratings:
Story: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Animation: 10/10
Music: 10/10


{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

- Copyright © Animia - ISYS100 Blog Assessment - Powered by Blogger - Template designed by Johanes Djogan -